Thursday, March 26, 2009

Independent Film "The Cake Eaters"

I just saw previews of an independent film called "The Cake Eaters." The movie was made a couple of years ago, but is just now getting a dvd release because it stars Kristen Stewart, who rose to HUGE star status with her turn as Bella Swan in the mega-hit "Twilight."

The preview of the movie intrigued me. I am renting it on iTunes for my trip to Charleston this weekend. I am kind of excited to see it. I will let everyone know what I think of it.

The movie kind of raised my attention because of all the stuff I have been following with Southern Gothic Productions. They are trying to raise funds for their indie film as well, and I truly believe, sometimes the independet route allows for the true art of filmmaking to be shown.

When you don't have a host of people "in the know" telling you what you should and shouldn't do, when you can just produce your vision, I think you show a truer form of your art.

It is kind of like the show I used to watch, Farscape. It was filmed in Australia and I think most of the time people didn't even know what they were doing. But creator Rockne S. O'Bannon and Brian Henson had a vision and they stuck to it, and WOW did they tell an epic story.

And most of all I loved that Farscape had all the SciFi tangents, but in the end, it was a love story about a boy and a girl who find themselves in a place they never dreamed. And their inner conflicts was what kept them apart.

But back on topic, The Cake Eaters. Watching it this weekend.

No comments: